Topics

Dry Creek Migrants

Daniel Gilman

I birded Dry Creek this Morning between 9 and 11 am.  I birded from McClure Ave. west to the area adjacent to the golf course.  Migrants included WESTERN WOOD PEWEE, two BLACK-THROATED  GRAY WARBLER  and I heard the partial song of an Empid in the area toward the eastern edge of where the golf course borders the trail.  I never saw the bird and it quit calling almost as soon as I heard it.  My impression was Hammond's but there was not enough for me to be sure. I also heard one RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH and saw two ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS.

At 4:40 in the afternoon I went to the East La Loma park region of Dry Creek.  The trees near the "playground" were full of birds.  I had 8-10 BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS, 4-6 WILSON'S WARBLERS and one TOWNSEND'S WARBLER as well as one RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH.  As I was leaving I saw a Red-Breasted Nuthatch in the "chopped off" pine near the basketball courts.

Daniel Gilman
Modesto