Topics

Dry Creek this morning

Ralph

I met John Harris, Jodi Smith and Dale Swanberg in front of 1125 Edgebrook Dr a little after 7:30 this morning and we birded along the creek together (but separate). There is a trail between 1125 and 1205 Edgebrook which T's into the bike path right next to the lift station. We walked west for approx. .2 miles then headed back to the east. John departed when we got back to the trail to the road and Jodi left us at 11:00. Dale and I continued birding until about 12:30, birding all the way to the basketball courts.

We had several migrants and returning summer residents. Just west of the lift station, just after we started birding, we found a flock of Bushtits that had among them a Townsend's Warbler, two HERMIT WARBLERS and a CASSIN'S VIREO. A few minutes later we heard and then saw a Red-breasted Nuthatch. A bit after that John spotted a male Black-chinned Hummingbird and then we found an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER.  We also saw a SWAINSON'S THRUSH in a fruiting mulberry across the creek. We heard a few more, as well, possibly five in total.

There were also many Western Tanagers and Black-headed Grosbeaks and Dale and I heard a Western Wood-Pewee and a Bullock's Oriole. We also watched a pair of Northern Rough-winged Swallows carrying nesting material into a burrow above the creek.

And, as always, happy birding, stay safe, stay sane and may the light be with you,
Ralph Baker, Riverbank