Topics

Dry Creek Today

Ralph

I had an interesting flycatcher at Dry Creek this afternoon. The bird appeared to be approx. the same size as a kingbird but I did not see any color on it other than gray and it dipped its tail a couple of times like a Gray Flycatcher or pheobe would. Unfortunately, before I could even get my hands on my bins to look closer a female Western Tanager chased it off and I could not relocate it. A few minutes later, while standing in almost the exact same spot where I saw the first bird, a yellow-bellied kingbird flew over. The kingbird did perch briefly but out of view and when I moved to try to get a look at it it flew off and I was not able to relocate it either. The approx. coordinates were 37.653218, -120.941842. Also in that area were a hummer which looked so small (it was perched less than 10 feet from me) that I thought it was a young male Costa's, but upon further inspection the tail was much too long, so it turns out it was actually an Anna's. But it looked TINY! Which means that the flycatcher I saw could have actually been smaller than my first impression. About 400 feet east of that spot I also had a Red-breasted Nuthatch. The only warblers I saw were one each Yellow and Orange-crowned.

I got my warbler fix for the day earlier at McHenry Rec Area East. There I had 2 Orange-crowned, several Yellow, a Black-throated Gray, a Wilson's and a Common Yellowthroat. I also had a large group of Cedar Waxwings, a Western Tanager and my first White-crowned Sparrow of the season. While walking up along the railroad tracks between the Escalon WTP ponds I had 34 Red-necked Phalaropes, a White-faced Ibis, 22 Great Egrets and a whopping 84 Snowy Egrets.

Ralph Baker, Riverbank