Topics

La Grange and Hawkins Pond

Ralph

This morning I met Richard Brown in La Grange and we walked east along the south side of the river from the bridge to the fence at the end of public access area. We had 54 species in four-and-a-half hours. Notables were two Wild Turkeys that flew across the trail in front of us, two White-throated Swifts, a Western Wood-Pewee, a Pacific-slope Flycatcher, a Hutton's Vireo, a Canyon Wren, two SWAINSON'S THRUSHES, a Lawrence's Goldfinch, a Rufous-crowned Sparrow, a Townsend's, several Wilson's and a Myrtle Yellow-rumped Warbler and a Western Tanager. Plus several returning breeders; Ash-throated Flycatchers, Western Kingbirds, Bullock's Orioles and Black-headed Grosbeaks. We also watched for several minutes while an Oak Titmouse repeatedly entered a nest cavity with food and left carrying fecal sacks. We also saw an otter in the river a couple of times.

Afterward I did a little out of county birding, with nothing notable to show for it, and then stopped at Hawkins Pond on my way home. At the pond I found an impressive number of shorebirds, the water was a bit low and the pond was nearly covered with birds. The most abundant were Long-billed Dowitchers, a few thousand in all, but there were also many Least and a few Western Sandpipers, exactly 100 American Avocets, a few Black-necked Stilts, a smattering of Dunlin, a Killdeer, two Semipalmated Sandpipers and one WILSON'S PHALAROPE.

And, as always, happy birding, stay safe, stay sane and may the light be with you,
Ralph Baker, Riverbank