Topics

Sonora Road and vicinity

John Harris

This morning I visited Sonora Road, stopping to look at places that have had nesting colonies of Tricolored Blackbirds. A large colony appears to be forming at the intersection of Frankenheimer and Sonora Roads. Another colony appears to be getting established along the Milton Road, about 3 miles north of Highway 4.
 Also of interest were several Wilson's Snipe in the irrigated pasture west of that intersection.. I also drove the short section of 28 Mile Road between Sonora Road and the intersection with Eastman Road. I had one Grasshopper Sparrow, roughly in the spot where some were seen in previous years. That bird was singing, but even with hearing aids, I can't hear all elements of the song. There may have been a second one, but I was unable to confirm.
John Harris
Oakdale