Topics

Yet another Stanislaus County Brewer's Sparrow and a flock of Yellow-headed Blackbirds

Ralph

This afternoon I made another fruitless attempt at John Harris's Rock River Road (Tuolumne County) Sage Thrasher. I was there from 3:00 to 4:15 with no sign of the bird. On the way home, though, I ran across a couple of "good" finds. On Rock River Road (Stanislaus County) at 37.7555015-120.5667014 I found another BREWER'S SPARROW. It was on the fence on the north side of the road and the lighting was not good so my first pictures did not turn out so good. I moved and the bird flushed east so I backed up and got on it again, it flushed again and flew west. I moved up and it flushed again and I followed it once more. Just as I was about to try for another shot I saw a couple of vehicles approaching from the rear and I thought "Great, they're going to scare the bird off." But they went by so fast that when the bird flushed it flew over the road and back toward me, landing even with the back end of my car. It was down low so I was shooting through grass stems but I was able to get some pretty good shots.

Then, on Warnerville Road, less than half-a-mile west of the intersection with Crabtree Road, I found a mixed flock of icterids that contained at least eight Yellow-headed Blackbirds.

I also found a pretty decent sized Gopher Snake out on Rock River Road, only my second live snake sighting of the year.

As always, happy birding, stay safe, stay sane and may the light be with you,
Ralph Baker, Riverbank